Monday, June 24, 2013

Watercolor Painted Flower Cards


I wanted to try something new, so, instead of stamping and watercoloring in the stamped image(s), I watercolored freehand. The first card is morning glories -- an anniversary card with a simple background in order to allow the flowers to pop. The second card is lily of the valley. I masked the tiny bells with gesso, painted in the leaves and background, then painted on the gesso, to allow the white bells to show up. I kept adding color and finally, they can be seen! This is a thank you card for a very special couple!
 
Now, back to pure stamping! I've seen many of these circle layered cards done and wanted to try one myself. The top layer (in eggplant) has the word "hope" in the centre.  The hardest part--finding an envelope to fit!

The card to the right is a cupboard style card, with that vintage look done in all neutrals. I really enjoy creating this look!


Sunday, June 23, 2013

At long last....

It's been quite a while since I posted, mainly because I've been caught up with "things"...You know: exercising, having guests for dinner, making cards, teaching classes of varying topics, cleaning house, shoveling snow, gardening, shopping....Just not blogging!  I hope to get back to it again, now that summer is finally here.

This is my mother's Birthday card, made with a Marianne emboss and cut folder, along with an SU die and stamp set. I placed organza ribbon under the card front cutouts and also made a little ribbon rose to match for an embellishment. The little leaves were created from a border punch that I have. The roses were watercolored, then highlighted with white gel pen. 
 

My dad's Happy Father's Day easel card was created from an old Stampin' Up ® set, along with a bunch of stamps from various sets (fish, fruit, car, bike) to represent things my father likes to do. The "you" was cut out using a Sizzix® alphabet set. 
 
 This easel card uses a lot of different sets to create a vintage style card. I really enjoyed making this card, with all its various stamps, as it looked better and better as I used the direct-paper technique, stamping off/on, spritzed and smeared images and inks. Sometimes, you can go too far with adding things, but I stopped just in time!


I colored the teacup with markers prior to stamping the cardfront and used a mask over the teacup when stamping the background. The flowers in the cup were stamped afterwards in a darker ink, to cover the background stamp. I could have added cutout flowers on top, but wanted to keep it simple. The double-punched tag is an old Saleabration stamp that had a similar look to it, so I thought it finished off the look I was trying to achieve.

 The bright orchid card uses a number of older sets and wheel, as well as inked white roses to get the look I wanted. I brayered over the greeting background prior to stamping, and brayered over the butterfly to match, to achieve a rainbow effect. 

The sympathy card has stamped and punched out and glittered butterflies added to a sponged background. I used multiple stamps to achieve the leaves and grass effect. This simple card has a cheerful aura that, I hope, conveys my regrets as well as hope.
 The sunflower card has a scored-on-the-diagonal background and 3-step stamped sunflowers. The greeting is die cut and pierced. The front edge of the card is dry embossed, diecut and punched.
 
 Well, that's it for now. I have a few more that I've created, but I'll save them for another post.  God bless you!  

If you wish instructions on any of the cards, please let me know and I'll send you a note on how it/they were done.